Friday, February 27, 2015

Pace Yourself: Quitting the Business of Busyness

Pace Yourself: Quitting the Business of Busyness









by




*I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley to review.
                
It has been a while since I truly have enjoyed a book so much as this one, in fact right to the end! I can be quite hard on Christian non-fiction books because I don't want to hear the same old adages from all the other books that I have read. I don't necessarily pick apart a book when it comes to the theology because I am not a theologian, I'll leave that to the people in the know. I approach the Word with a somewhat simplistic attitude and I will double check the scripture references. Though I ultimately lean on the Holy Spirit for guidance and clarification. I have been raised all my life in church and have heard and read a lot and I tire quickly of people wanting to pull apart the Word of God.

So when I started this book by Brady Boyd, I was prepared for the "same old" themes and generalized ideology. The author managed to bring to my attention ideas, thoughts, feelings and spiritual musings that I have wondered about or have experienced but never heard or read anywhere. I am a person who thinks deeply about my spiritual life, a part of the natural curiosity in me. This is the first time that I read a book that consistently brought up new ways of looking at the theme of being busy, learning to be still and waiting on God. I love where he says "I may have escaped the stressors of daily life, but had I even rested at all? This is what God is hinting at here, that restfulness is tethered to the state of our souls".

I constantly highlighted throughout the book right to the end. I am always somewhat disappointed with a book towards the end because basically all the material has been explored and discussed through the first third and then it is basically a "filler" and conclusion towards the end. I noticed with this book there were a constant looping and rhythm of ideas and stories and excitement of the subject matter to the last chapter. The book kept my attention and I felt inspired and I will recommend this to my friends and family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment