Monday, February 2, 2015

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

18143977   Rich with imagery and allegory instilled within the stories of our two main characters, one a French blind girl and Werner, an intelligent young German boy. I couldn't decide which of the two stories I liked the best though I felt that the horrors of the war was equally felt through both. Their stories were told in a somewhat factual way and yet I think I rather liked this approach because the reader is slowly reeled in. I detest being a victim to pretentious emotional hype that books of this genre strive to achieve. The ending was absolutely beautiful and this part was one of my most favorites: That great shuttles of souls might fly about, faded but audible if you listen closely enough? They flow above the chimneys, ride the sidewalks, slip through your jacket and shirt and breastbone and lungs, and pass out through the other side, the air a library and record of every life lived, every sentence spoken, every word transmitted still reverberating within it. Every hour, she thinks, someone for whom the war was memory falls out of the world. We rise again in the grass. In the flowers. In songs.

2 comments:

  1. I started this on back in January (during TT3 in NBRC) but it ended up on the backburner when more fast paced book came along. I plan to keep going with it soon (for the NBRC BOM). I have enjoyed the story so far, but it is quite slow paced and the short chapters have let me put it down after a few minutes instead of getting caught up in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Renee, I started this book during TT3. I feel guilty for not finishing it, but it's definitely something I need to read when I'm relaxed and not rushing to finish a pile of novels.

    ReplyDelete