Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Beginning

I was introduced to the wonderful world of the library and reading by my mother who was an avid reader. In fact, she was a speed reader even before it became vogue. Truthfully I think she needed to be a fast reader because her time was so limited by the daily grind of being a mother, wife and all around workaholic. I never have known anyone other than myself and my youngest daughter, Amanda to be so voracious in her appetite for books and reading. Every evening she would grab those precious hours on her reading chair and she literally zoom through her books. Her favorite authors were Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour. I tried to find an old picture of the Lennox library but could only find a picture of the newer re-modeled library. At least the design is the same and it gives you an idea of what it looked like.

Going to the library was one of my favorite pursuits with my mother. My first library was the Lennox library in Lennox, California. While looking for a picture of the library to include in this post, I discovered that it is one of the oldest continually running libraries in Los Angeles County and it was built in 1918. I was in first grade and barely out of the first reader when my mother included me in her favorite pursuit of books.  I still remember having my first library card being filled out and then being unleashed on that small sanctuary of books, my first books that I remember having borrowed were the "Curious George" series. My mother literally ran out all reading options in that library and she decided we have to move onto better pastures. I don't remember how old I was but I do think I was in Jr. High and High School. We moved onto the Hawthorne Library, although I missed Lennox Library, the expanse of those books on those shelves, well, the memories of my old library waned far into the background. Our trips to the library was at least every two to three days, far more than we previously visited the Lennox Library.

At some point we decided that Hawthorne was just a bit too small, so the Inglewood library with it's multiple floors was the ticket! I remember how amazing it was to catch the elevator, in a library! I didn't particularly like this library as much because for one, the absolute size of the place was a bit daunting for a small time library girl, the mere size limited the sense of  library intimacy. Though I think what really perturbed me was the library's habit of covering all their books with generic "wallpaper" covers. I love books and I am a cover lover! There is something about the lure of the cover of a book, it either entices you or holds you aloof. We went a few times but I think it was a mutual decision to stay with our old library.

I am a voracious reader to this day. I have many interests but my reading time and the love of books is part of who I am. I have four library cards and I frequent my Overdrive library and I also own (soon to own another!) a Kindle. I have two grandsons and soon-to-arrive granddaughter and I hope that I can help instill the love of books and reading in them. My youngest daughter and I carry on the grand tradition of books, reading and libraries. Our trips to town always involve a trip to the library, talking about books and reading! While I drive if we aren't talking about books and life, I am listening to an audiobook while she is reading. I am so privilege to have had a mother who nurtured this part of my life in me and those memories are the best part of my childhood.

So, this post is dedicated to the woman who started it all, Yvonne Atha Parker. Who by the way lost her eyesight due to diabetes during the last 15 years of her life. She then had to rely on books sent to her by the Library of Congress on a special player. I remember her complaining about her lack of control over what was sent to her to read. If only she had what is available now in the way of audiobooks or being read to by a Kindle! I try not to think about her eyesight being robbed from her and her reading life being altered. I rather remember those wonderful trips to the library.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! :)
    I remember Grandma's frustration with the books on tape sent to her. If only she had access to the resources we do today!
    I couldn't imagine a life without books. If it weren't for her, and then you, I think I would be a very different person. Reading definitely changes you. For the better, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your post! Yes, so true.....the tradition and influence passes forward doesn't it? All for the better :)

    ReplyDelete