Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Bell of the Desert

23633153  by

Published November 18th 2014 by Yucca Publishing


*I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley to review.

Gertrude Bell was a woman before her time and reading this historical fiction based upon this remarkable woman came across very well as a fictionalized biography. I truly love books that inspire me and encourages me to discover more about who or what I am reading about. What I liked about the book was the way that the author handled bringing Gertrude Bell front and center in our story. Her curiosity and drive not to be held back because of her sex was thoroughly outlined. This book was chocked full of adventure and bits of information about Arabia and its' people.

Politics was par for the course in such an undertaking writing about such an important figure in history. My patience waned at times with the political maneuvering but I don't hold it against the book, it is a personal disinterest on my part. The story was wrapped up quite nicely and you had a good sense of what Gertrude had done for that part of the world. She rubbed elbows and locked minds with many historical figures such as Harry Lawrence also known as Lawrence of Arabia and Winston Churchill.

I did find that the many references to her sexual escapades did tax my patience but I think that the majority of the public are interested in such details but personally I found it taxing and quite unnecessary. Overall it is a good read, I recommend it to anyone who is interested in history, adventure, women who have overstepped their rigid roles of the time and in the Middle East.

No comments:

Post a Comment