Friday, February 13, 2015

Orchard House: How a Neglected Garden Taught One Family to Grow

22693807   by


 
 
When I think of my mother I first remember our trips to the library and our shared love for reading and then, it is my memories of our gardening together. Reading this book brought back such sweet memories of gardening and cooking and preserving the bounty from our garden. For the past two years I have been delving back into the rich world of gardening and canning the rich rewards. My own daughter and her husband were the ones who helped my renewed interest; perhaps because they do the majority of the work! I happily reminisce while canning or dehydrating. The author really tapped into my memories and I suppose I am biased in saying that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book because of my own past experiences.

I enjoyed her delving into the difficulties of her relationship with her mother and brother. Psychology and introspection are subjects that go right along with an activity such as gardening and I think it was a brilliant combination for a book. At times it appeared as though she was a bit too much on the introspection but good old fashioned catharsis is good for the soul, after all we are all human and have a complaint or two in this life. I found the writing was very well done and I would definitely recommend it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment