Thursday, February 5, 2015

Art and Reading or is it Reading and Art!


I am including a picture of one of my plein air paintings from about 2012. Now if you are wondering what is a plein air painting? Well, this is simple, imagine taking your art studio outside along a beautiful river, in God's country and painting to your heart's content. I am an avid reader, my favorite activity is reading and art and painting is my second favorite. I have been stuck lately on reading a lot and I have been enjoying every moment of it, though I have been feeling the need and desire to get out there along the river to paint.

I paint in pastels and watercolor and this particular painting is a pastel. The river is the North Yuba River and approximately within 30 minutes of my house. This painting though was painted about 5 miles north of Downieville (I am in No. California) in fact this spot is on someone's mining claim. Yes, we still have mining claims and in fact my husband works for the Forest Service and is a Mineral's Officer. So, while I paint, I keep my eyes open and report back to him.....no.....I am just kidding. I try to keep my mind on the painting and let him do the investigating!

I think reading keeps our minds open for new adventure or our interests engaged, well, at least it does for me. When I read, my mind often drifts to painting and art; reason is I think the scenes that authors "paint" with words often will inspire that need to paint. For me, reading and art seems to go hand in hand and I often am motivated to get out there and look for new areas or subjects to paint. After-all aren't authors looking for the same thing but in a different way? Both activities keeps the creative juices flowing and the mind's eye activated.

Now all I need is some good weather and hopefully a sunny day to venture out to the North Yuba and do my own creating. Happy reading people and keep your viewpoint open to the possibilities that reading can bring to your world.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! :D
    I miss the North Yuba. Maybe I can go with you sometime and do some reading while you paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds good! I am thinking of going next week if the weather is decent and I can get away :)

    ReplyDelete